First SEARCH Knowledge Exchange Workshop on the Impacts of Arctic Sea Ice Loss
Organized by the SEARCH Sea Ice Action Team
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
When: 14 September 2016 to 15 September 2016
Where: Consortium for Ocean Leadership, 1201 New York Avenue, Fourth Floor - Washington, DC 20005
As the Arctic experiences rapid changes in the marine environment, there is unprecedented need for effective communication, collaborative science, and actionable knowledge to support responses by a variety of stakeholders. This workshop will focus on the implications of diminishing Arctic sea ice by convening diverse science experts, decision-makers, Arctic residents, industry specialists, NGO's, and other stakeholders to define and address important societal questions.
The First SEARCH Knowledge Exchange Workshop will gather 30-50 invited experts to discuss impacts of sea-ice loss on:
- Arctic ecosystems. How are marine ecosystem structure and primary productivity changing, and what are the implications for the Arctic and beyond?
- Lower latitude weather. What are the linkages between Arctic sea ice loss, amplified Arctic warming, and changing mid-latitude weather patterns?
- Human activities in the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort Seas. What roles can improved understanding of current and future sea ice conditions play in informing the actions and decisions of Arctic residents and regional stakeholders?
- Provide a forum where Arctic scientists, stakeholder community representatives, and decision makers can share perspectives on Arctic research priorities and effective means for cross-community communication and collaboration;
- Identify critical knowledge gaps where scientific synthesis efforts are (a) needed to support stakeholders and decision makers and (b) currently possible based on existing data and knowledge;
- Identify emerging research topics that warrant scoping studies;
- Develop new communication pathways to sustain continued and focused knowledge exchange between Arctic scientists, stakeholders, and decision-makers.
- Matthew Druckenmiller, Rutgers University and National Snow and Ice Data Center, Univ. of Colorado, druckenmiller [at] nsidc.org
- Jennifer Francis (SIAT co-lead), Rutgers University, francis [at] marine.rutgers.edu
- Henry Huntington (SIAT co-lead), Huntington Consulting, hph [at] alaska.net
Contact: Matthew Druckenmiller, Email: druckenmiller [at] nsidc.org